Sunday 18 July 2010

Mixed-Race & the Arts


I was invited to speak at the People in Harmony Annual Conference: 'Mixed Race & The Arts', held on 17th July 2010 at Ealing Friends Meeting House, West London. The event was opened and chaired by Vicki Hart-Dale. Speakers on the conference schedule were:

Tones and Textures Tenee Attoh
Cast a poem performed by Amaka Okafor
'A Socio-Genetic Experiment': Hip Hop and the 'Mixed-Race' Experience Dr Kevin Searle
Hidden Secrets of the Past: Unveiling of the Casta Paintings Tara Munroe
The Threads of My Journey Gloria Ojulari Sule

My presentation, The Journey So Far, explored my writing journey, which started in 1995 and I shared how despite the odds against getting my work published, I decided to tackle the publishing side of things myself, with the support of grants from the Arts Council.

It was a relaxing event, full of inspiration and positive vibes and I felt it was a rare experience to meet and network with such likeminded, yet unique mixed-race individuals.

For more information contact: http://www.pih.org.uk/

Photo courtesy of Tenee Attoh
Left to right: Kevin Searle, Amaka Okafor, Nicole Moore, Vicki Hart-Dale & Tara Munroe (Inset: Nicole Moore)

No comments:

Post a Comment